Short Portuguese Lessons
This is the new address for the Short Portuguese Lessons. They are
no longer available on the previous server. Please update your
bookmarks and links. "We apologize for the inconvenience."
Welcome to these Short Portuguese Lessons! My intention is to
give a brief introduction to the language for those who might
be curious about it. These lessons can be useful for people who
are planning to visit Portugal, Brazil, or any other place where
Portuguese is spoken. This is not intended to teach everything
there is to know about Portuguese!
But why learn Portuguese? There is a number of reasons I could
- It is spoken by almost 200 million people worldwide, which
ranks it among the six most spoken tongues.
- For those who already know a Romance language, it is relatively
easy to learn, especially for those who speak Castillian (Spanish).
- The Portuguese discoveries have left marks in almost every
corner of the world. An atlas will show you countless places with
a Portuguese name, not to mention the quantity of Portuguese words
that were absorbed by other tongues, including English.
- Both Portugal and Brazil are popular tourist destinations.
Next time you'll go there, you will feel much more at ease knowing
a bit of the language.
- It is different, it is fun, and it will teach you something.
The lessons so far:
- Lesson 1: Introduction, greetings, simple words, the numbers
- Lesson 2: Making verbs, simple sentences
- Lesson 3: Gender, number, articles, and adjectives
- Lesson 4: Prepositions and building sentences
- Lesson 5: Making questions and vocabulary
- Lesson 6: The possessives and demonstratives
- Lesson 7: The Past and Future tenses (under construction)
Something special for those who speak Spanish:
Conversion rules Spanish - Portuguese
Where can I find more info about the Portuguese language?
The Portuguese-speaking countries and territories in the world:
Something about Galiza, its language and culture:
If you have any comments or sugestions, please contact me.
Take a look at my homepage! It has many interesting things, I promise...
This page has been accessed
times since 97/11/27. Thank you!
Last updated: 97/11/27
Dario Oliveira Teixeira